Get your Private Pilot’s Licence for free with the Nick Davidson Memorial Flying Scholarship
Budding pilots are invited to apply for the 2020 Nick Davidson Memorial Flying Scholarship (NDMFS), which is sponsored by London’s Biggin Hill Airport.
The scholarship scheme is a tribute to pilot Nick Davidson who died from cancer in 2012 and was from the local area. He worked as a flight instructor at the airport in the early 1990s. It was his wish that a legacy should be set up in his name to further the careers of young people in the aviation sector.
It offers the chance for young people aged 16 to 26 to train towards an international Private Pilot Licence (PPL) in the form of a flying package that would ordinarily cost £13,000. It involves 45 hours’ worth of instruction with the EFG Flying School, ground school tuition and examinations.
In previous years, the NDMFS has led to a successful career in flying for the lucky recipients. Flight Lieutenant Steven Inch gained his PPL at Biggin Hill in 2015 and is currently undergoing fast jet training with the RAF, with the aim to gain competence in flying the RAF Typhoon or F35-B Lightning II jet.
Chairman of the NDMFS Trust Captain Gary Merchant expressed his delight with the progress previous recipients of the scholarship had made in their aviation careers so far. He said the scheme was helping to provide the aviation industry with some exceptional pilots and crew.
The Nick Davidson Memorial Flying Scholarship is supported by Nick’s spouse Alina, and its co-sponsors Pooleys Flight Equipment, London Biggin Hill Airport, Adams Aviation Supply Company, Shipping & Airlines and Falcon Flying Services, owner of the EFG Flying School.
In addition to the co-sponsors, Redhill Aerodrome has joined this year as an associate sponsor, offering circuits for free and landing fees as its contribution.
The scholarship starts early in 2020 at Biggin Hill Airport.
Applicants are asked to read the following guidance carefully:
- The deadline to submit your entry is 18:00 hours on Friday 30 November 2019.
- Young people aged 16 to 26 are invited to apply.
- Applicants must write a letter outlining why they deserve this scholarship and also submit an up-to-date CV.
- Those shortlisted will need to sit aptitude tests, a medical examination and an interview.
- The successful applicant must have high levels of motivation and have demonstrated a proactive attitude in pursuing an aviation career.
- They must be in a position to commit the required time to complete the PPL course, which takes a total of 45 flight hours, during 2020.
- It is desirable that they live within 15 miles of Biggin Hill Airport.
- The cost of travel to and from the airport is not part of the scholarship.
- Applications can be submitted by email ([email protected]), or if this is not possible, by post to Melanie Courtney, PA Marketing Department, Biggin Hill Airport Ltd, Passenger Terminal, Biggin Hill Airport, Bromley TN16 3BH. You will need to write “Nick Davidson Memorial Flying Scholarship 2020” on the envelope.
- For any queries, contact Captain Gary Merchant, Scholarship Administrator.
See the Nick Davidson Memorial Flying Scholarship page on the London Biggin Hill Airport website for further information.